GSM Subclass 189/190/491 Points-Calculator allows you to find out if you have enough points to apply for a skilled independent permanent visa
GSM Subclass 189/190/491 Points-Calculator can be used to find out if you are able to apply for an independent skilled visa if you do not have a sponsor or job offer. You can include members of your family in a combined application, or if granted the visa, you can sponsor them for other visas.
GSM or General Skilled Migration visa is for anyone whose occupation is in shortage (click here to find out if your occupation is in shortage) and obtained at least 65 points in the below GMS Subclass 189/190/491 Points-Calculator. Click here to learn more about Subclass 190 visa; Subclass 491 visa.
You should note that you can only claim the highest points for each factor. For example, if you have completed a Bachelor degree (15 points) and a Diploma (10 points), you can only claim 15 points. You cannot claim 15 points for your Bachelor degree and 10 points for your Diploma to give you 25 points for Education factor.
|Factor||At the time of invitation||Points|
|Age||18 and under 25|
25 and under 33
33 and under 40
40 and under 45
|English||Superior English (eg, IELTS at least 8 in each band)|
Proficient English (Eg, IETLS at least 7 in each band)
|3 to under 5 years|
5 to under 8 years
Over 8 years
|1 to under 3 years|
3 years to under 5 years
5 years to under 8 years
Over 8 years
|Prof Year||At least 12 months in the last 48 months|
IT / Engineering / Accounting graduates only
|Education||Doctorate or PhD|
Bachelor and Master degree
Diploma (Assoc or Advanced)
Others suitable for nominated skilled occupation
|Master or PhD by research in Science or IT or |
Engineering or Mathematics (at least 2 academic years)
|Completed a course (at least 2 academic years) in |
English in at least 16 calendar months
|NAATI||Accredited by NAATI for a community language||5|
|Studied in regional or low-population metro area||5|
|Partner||Under 45 foreign partner under with occupation in |
shortage list, positive skills assessment and competent English
No Partner or Partner is Australian citizen or PR
Foreign partner has competent English
|Nominate||Nominated by a state or territory for Subclass 190|
Nominated for regional or sponsored by relative
Points Test Calculator Notes:
- The maximum combined points that can be awarded for nominated skilled work experience (inside and outside Australia) is 20.
- Professional Year in Australia is at the time of invitation in a nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the 48 months prior. Professional Year is for IT graduates; accounting graduates; engineering graduates (EA).
- Specialised educational qualification – Masters degree by research or a doctoral degree which include study for at least 2 academic years. The specified fields of education to include Natural and Physical Sciences (Biological Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Earth Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; Natural and Physical Sciences; Physics and Astronomy); Information Technology (Computer Science; Information Systems; IT; Other IT) and Engineering and Related Technologies (Aerospace Engineering and Technology; Civil Engineering; Electrical and Related Technologies; Geomatic Engineering; Manufacturing Engineering and Technology; Maritime Engineering and Technology; Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology; Other Engineering and Related Technologies; Process and Resources Engineering).
- 10 points: the spouse or de facto partner (a) is an applicant for the same subclass visa as the primary partner and (b) who is not an Australian PR or citizen; and (c) is under 45 at the time of invitation and (d) at the time of invitation nominated a skilled occupation; (e) at the time of invitation the nominated skilled occupation must be assessed by the relevant authority as suitable skills (not for subclass 485) and (f) at the time of invitation must have competent English – as having certain passport from UK, USA, Canada or NZ or Republic of Ireland or IELTS at least 6 in each; OET at least B in each; TOEFL iBT with 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 21 for writing and 12 for listening; PTE Academic at least 50 in each.
- 10 points if does not have a spouse or de facto partner; or the spouse or de facto partner is an Australian PR or citizen
- 5 points if the spouse or de facto partner is an applicant for the same subclass and is not an Australian PR or citizen and at the time of invitation had competent English
To learn more about how you may lodge an expression of interest for a skilled visa – click here.
Australian migration law is complex and difficult to understand, contact our immigration lawyer for a consultation (fee applies) to help you decide if you can apply for a GSM visa (click here to find out how an immigration lawyer or registered migration agent can help you). You may also refer to our FAQs for answers regarding visa application or visa cancellation by clicking here.
041 222 4020 or WeChat: AUDvisa
This article is not intended to be or taken as migration legal advice. The author of this article disclaims any liability for any action or omission on the information provided or not provided in this article. You should always consult an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent to form an informed opinion on your immigration matter.