SkillSelect expression of interest for skilled migration is required if you want to apply for the following visas:
- Independent Skilled Class SI Subclass 189
- Nominated Skilled Class SN Subclass 190
- Skilled Work Regional Class PS Subclass 491
- Business Innovation and Investment Class EB Subclass 188
- Business Talent Class EA Subclass 132
SkillSelect is an online program that allows skilled overseas workers or business persons to express an interest to migrate to Australia.
SkillSelect enable Australian state or territory government and Austrade to view your interest and nominate you for a visa.
SkillSelect expression of interest process
- Through SkillSelect you can submit an expression of interest
- A State or Territory or Austrade will decide whether to nominate you to the visa
- If nominated, you will receive an invitation from the Department to apply for the visa within 60 calendar days. You cannot ask the Department to extend the 60 days, you will have to request the state or territory to nominate you again in order for the invitation to be triggered.
You can be inside or outside of Australia when you lodge a SkillSelect expression of interest. However, lodging a SkillSelect expression of interest is not a visa application and the Department will not grant you a bridging visa.
If you have received an invitation to apply for the visa while you are outside of Australia, the Department will not grant you a visa to travel to Australia to make the visa application. However, if you are in Australia at the time of receiving an invitation and you lodge the visa application, the Department may grant you a bridging visa to remain in the country until a decision on your visa application is finally determined.
Ranking of SkillSelect expression of interest
Ranking is done automatically by SkillSelect daily in order to facilitate the issue of invitations. The ranking is based on the information you provided in the SkillSelect expression of interest. There is a cap or quota on the number of visas allocated, not all applicants whose EOI score that is equal to or greater than the relevant passmark (currently 65 points) will be invited to apply for the visa. To calculate your points for a GSM visa, click here. To calculate your points for a Subclass 188 visa, click here.
Each SkillSelect expression of interest has a unique ranking, equally scored EOIs are separated by the date and time the EOI is submitted for a given visa subclass. This date is updated each time you amend your EOI resulting in a change to your points test score or eligibility for a visa subclass. In short, unless the amendment resulted in a change in points, it will not affect the date for the purposes of ranking.
Your SkillSelect expression of interest is valid for 2 years or you have turned 45 for GSM visa (subclass 189, 190 and 491).
Ranking does not apply to SkillSelect expression of interest for visas that require a state or territory, or Austrade nomination:
- Class EA Subclass 132 Business Talent
- Class EB Subclass 188 Business Innovation and Investment
- Class SN Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated
- Class PS Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional Sponsored
When will SkillSelect expression of interest be closed
- Remain in the SkillSelect for 2 years
- Will be locked once an invitation is issued
- Will remain locked if you lodged the visa application
- Can be withdrawn at any time
- Is closed if the visa is granted
- Is closed if you have applied for the visa but was refused
- Can be cancelled by the Department for breaching SkillSelect Terms and Conditions
Invitation to apply for visa
Only the Minister personally can issue an invitation to apply for a skilled visa. This power is exercised through the SkillSelect system under s 495A.
Invitations for Subclass 189 and 491 (Family Sponsored) are issued in order of ranking subject to occupation ceiling and allocation. Subclass 189 EOIs are ranked separated from Subclass 491 EOIs.
Invitations are issued to the EOIs with the highest point scores first then to EOIs with the earliest dates of submission until the occupation ceiling is reached or the maximum number of invitations is reached for the subclass or there are no further eligible EOIs is available in SkillSelect.
Invitations for State and Territory GSM and Business visas
Invitations are issued if all the following requirements are met:
- the nominating state and territory government has places available
- the points in the EOI is at least equal to the points test passmark for the that subclass, and
- you are nominated by a state or territory or Austrade
Fees and Charges for SkillSelect expression of interest
There are no fees or charges to create or submit a SkillSelect expression of interest.
There is no merits review if you do not receive an invitation to apply for the visa. However, if you have been invited and you lodge the visa application, and the application was refused, you may be able to apply for a merits review.
Australian migration law is complex and difficult to understand, contact our immigration lawyer for a consultation (fee applies) to help you with your SkillSelect expression of interest.
041 222 4020 or WeChat: AUDvisa
This article is not intended to be or taken as migration legal advice. The author of this article disclaims any liability for any action or omission on the information provided or not provided in this article. You should always consult an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent to form an informed opinion on your immigration matter.